We’re all getting ready for the new year and making new years resolutions, well weight loss is an excellent resolution to have in spite of how difficult it may seem. There are many fad diets out there, but a 10 1lb weight loss can improve your health and your risk for diseases with obesity, diseases like Type 2 diabetes, hypertension and heart disease.
Here are ten easy steps to jump start your weight management program.
1. Accept that weight management is an achievable goal -if you approach weight management with the concept that small steps will add up to make a big difference over time, then the idea of losing weight does not seem so hard.
2. Make a plan to succeed-identify 10 food items that you currently purchase that you know are bad for you and that you can live without. Make a consistently plan to start eliminating 2 of these items each week from your grocery list.
3. Contact a nutritionist and make and make an appointment -every individual should have a customized plan tailored to their age, weight, height, metabolism and activity level. This plan is best created with a professional who will dedicate time to working with you one on one.
4. Schedule regular exercise -this is very important so make it a goal to double that distance you walk each day. And if you haven’t started walking yet, this it’s time to start, just start out slow until you are walking at least 30 minutes a day.
5. Set realistic goals -rapid weight loss that can’t be sustained only results in frustration. The goal should be to lose approximately 2 lbs each week. Depending on how much you choose to lose, over the course of a year this will result in a substantial amount of weight loss.
6. Develop a support system -it is important to join a support group and to develop a network of individuals who are committed to your success. You can research online and find walking groups in your area, like on meetup.com, or join a gym, or even weight watches or ediets.
7. Weigh in regularly -it is important to check your weight regularly. Every week you should check your weight in the morning before you get dressed and on the same scale.
8. Positive reinforcement -feel good about the success that you are making and provide a small reward for yourself each week that is not food related. Some excellent suggestions include a manicure, a massage, taking a scenic walk, purchasing a new CD or new clothing item.
9. Congratulate yourself -weight loss is similar to a marathon that is not always won by leaps and bounds. The goal is to stay focused on your goal even if there are small setbacks from time to time.
10. Love yourself-while absolute weight loss is a goal, it is important to love yourself no matter what your size maybe.
I hope this helps someone as it has help me in my journey towards weight loss. I’ve currently loss 40 lbs and down to my last 10 lbs. Please note the information that I’ve provided you was taken from black w omen’s health, but it’s something I wanted to share. I hope you enjoy it.